4 May 2013

A Cute Old Story I Dig Out from My E-mail (not my original work) , Enjoy :)



The day after the XXXIV Super Bowl was my first day at Murdoch University whereI was studying to be a lyricist. Because of the thousands of students wandering around making their way to lectures and classes, I forgot where I was heading. I was looking for some help when I noticed a brown-haired, blue-eyed girl sitting gracefully on one of the benches. She seemed to be writing down notes in some sort of journal with a bright yellow cover. Somehow, I felt instantly attracted to her.

“Hi, I’m Levi West. It’s my first day here and I’m looking for the music studios,do you know where they are?” I was trying really hard not to look nervous.Unfortunately, I showed it by scratching the back of my neck.
“Hey, I’m Eloise Edwards. It’s my first day too and I’m doing the Music Technology course as well,” she repliedshyly.
“Shall we check at the Student Information Centre then?  I’m sorry, only if you’ve finished writing your notes.”
“It’s okay. I can finish these lyrics off another time.”
“So you’re a writer as well? Can I have a look at your work?” I asked, feeling much more relaxed than a minute ago.
“Umm, I’ll show you one piece I wroteand that’s all, okay?” She responded shyly.
“Okay.”I smiled. So far my day had improved 100 percent.
The lyric she wrote was reallybeautiful.It was the piece she was working on when I approached her.

      Bring forth the old, dirty roads that lie beneath the sun.
            Open up to the world of heat high up north somewhere.
            So let’s laugh about all the times we’ll have.

“This is a fantastic start!”I replied surprisingly with a grin. “Shall we make our way to the Student Info Centre?”
“Thanks, I don’t usually let people see my unfinished work.Yes, we should head off or we’ll be late.” Shesmiled.
“So where are you from, Eloise?” I asked as we made our way to the Student Info Centre.
“I’m from Subiaco. I graduated from Perth Modern School. Where do you come from?”
“I’m a local guy.I live just around the corner and I graduated from Aquinas College,” I answered, still scratching the back of my neck.
“My best friend’s boyfriend went to school there.Do you know Johnny Greenwood?”
“Yeah,he was alwaysa bit of a show off, especially in the ‘96 Cross Country, jogging the whole way except for walking up Chunder Hill then obliterating the second person in the last 100 meters,”My neck was burning with an itch I couldn’t scratch out.
“I heard about that.Is something irritating your neck?You seem to be scratching it a lot.” She giggled and pointed to my neck.
“Nah, it’s fine,” I said embarrassingly. “It’s only a mosquito bite,” I lied.
“Do you want me to have a look at it then?I did a first aid course last year and I carry around all sorts of stuff to help cure little things like that.”
“It’s alright.My dad has some special concoction.He puts on creams and lotionsthat cures them,like that!”I lied…again, clicking my fingers.If she noticed there was not really a mosquito bite there, she might have thought I was weird.
Just as we reached theStudent Info Centre,I glanced down at my watch which read 8:05!
“Shoot we’re late, class starts at 8am, doesn’t it? I’ll get the info while you prepare to sprint!” I shrieked.
When we arrived at the studio, we discovered our class actually started at 8:30. We chatted and laughed at our fortune until our first class began. Something magical had happened that day.
On that very samenight, I had a flashback dream about how I came to have my musical talents discovered.It was my first day in year five; February 3rd1992.We arrived eager for the year to start and we were introduced to our tutors. Mine was Miss Pickett who was also amusic teacher at the college. Before the classes started that morning she decided to give us all an audition for choir. It was a nervous wait until my name was called out. I started to scratch the back of my neck since I had never sung in front of an audience before. I had only sung when my dad blasted Michael Jackson in the CD playerin the car and I sang along with him.

“Last one…Levi! What song would you like to sing?” beamed Miss Pickett.
“Am I allowed to sing ‘Black or White’ by Michael Jackson,Miss?”
“Of course you are, and good choice by the way,”
I took a deep breath before I sung the first verse and chorus of Black or White with all my heart.Miss Pickett left the room immediately after I finished. I was thinking “Was I that bad?”When she arrived back with the headmaster,Mr. Carrigg.
She said to Mr. Carrigg,“We need to make some room in this afternoon’s assembly for this boy!”
I was shaking and itching more than ever before the performance.
“If you can sing it in front of me and the whole of your tutor group you can sing it in front of the school!” Miss Picket said.
This gave me the extra confidence boost I needed. Five minutes later I performed it again for the whole school in the introductory assembly for the year.Everyone went nuts after the performance.
I woke up with the world’s biggest smile on my face. I couldn’t wait to tell my story to Eloise!

April 8th 2001

A year and a few months have passedsinceEloise and I started dating and our bond has become unbreakable.  We did everything together,from University assignments to having a sing-along in my parents’ backyard.Tonight, I decided to ask her out to one of those drive-in cinemas. We saw the movie ‘The Princess Diaries’ her choice of course.For most of the car trip, all was silent except for the soundof the car driving down the roads. I decided to try to start a conversation.
“What did you think of the movie?” I asked
“It was pretty good. Better than I expected. Did you like it?”
“Yeah, it was better than I expected. The stars are looking beautiful tonight.”
“Wow they’re beautiful!”
“And look it’s a full moon tonight!” I exclaimed pointing at the moon in its full bright beauty.
“Yeah! Did you plan this to be on the night of the full moon?” she asked looking at me with a funny impression
“No, no I didn’t it just happened to be a coincidence.” I smiled as we pulled into her parents’ driveway
“Thanks for taking me out tonight. I really needed the break from my studies.”
“The pleasure was all mine. I needed the break too.”
I opened her car door and walked her to the front door of her home.
“Thanks again for taking me out.” She repeated
“No worries. Let’s do this more often.”
“I’ll see you Monday!”
“Will do.” I smiled back
I was just about to turn and walk away when something gushed over me.
“Eloise!” I called out
“Yes.” She replied returning to the front door.
“I forgot to give you something.”
“What?”
“This.” I said as I leaned in and gave Eloise a kiss on the lips
“See you Monday.” I smiled.

December 10-28th 2003

We're both going on a winter holiday.
No more working for a week or two.
Fun and laughter on a winter holiday.
No more worries for me and you.
For a week or two.

University is out and holidays are in. We finally graduated from University!It was the Christmas of 03’, Eloise and I decided to have a white Christmas overseas. We spent the first four days in L.A. then moved onto to visit marvelousMiami for three days followed by a four-hour trip to noisy New York where we stayed for four days. We spent Christmas and an extra four other days in beautiful Banff, Canada before returning home just before the New Year. We planned to sleep in different rooms to get cheaper accommodation prices.
In L.A., we ate the world’s best burgers and chips, took the tour through Hollywood and saw many great actors’houses. Miami was amazing with the beaches and Everglades.We saw the endangered Myanmar birdwith bright colorful feathers. New York was breathtaking with astonishing TimesSquare, the Empire State Building and masses of people. Banff was the highlight with snow every day and the joyful Christmas spirit in the air.
On Christmas morning when I woke up, I felt something deep inside of me. Something that I hadn’t felt before. Back then, I didn’t know what it was, I now know; it was love.For Christmas I gave Eloise a pearl necklace from the Tiffany store in New York.She brought me the latest I-pod.
When we were going down for Christmas brunch, I noticed something on the light in the lift.
“Hey Eloise, what do you think that thing on the light is?”
“I don’t know. I think it’s mistletoe.”
This sparked my memories of that lovely night in April.
“Oh yeah, you’re right.” I said as I leaned in and gave Eloise a kiss on the lips.

March 7th-10th2004

I received a call in my I.T. office at my job as an IT Technician from the hospital at lunchtime today. Eloise and I randown the fluorescently lighted hallways of Charlie Gardiner Hospital,scouting for room H78. When we reach the room, we burst through the doors to see my dad lying unconscious on the hospital bed connected to a drip. The soft tone of the heart beat monitor beeping every second.My father looked as if he had been in a deep sleep with deep, drowsy eyes folded over as we waited and hoped he would awake.
Eloise had stayed with me for a week after my father’s severe heart attack. Many friends of mine and Eloise sent get-well cards and condolences. The room felt empty as we waited for any sight of life to come from the bed.The doctors came in and out regularly to do checkups to prevent anything bad occurring. The doctors all said that they did not know when he would wake up, just like a broken record.
On the 1stOctober the sky once known to be blue was filled up with the white soft clouds sending out a meaning of hope. My father awoke suddenly with his heart rate rapidly increasing. I ran out to the corridor and shouted out for doctor assistance. My father started shaking violently. He was having a seizure!
“HELP!!! HELP!!!” I yelled at the top of my voice.
Doctors had arrived as quickly as they could and pushed my dad’s bed into an operating room.I was too scared to watch. I didn’t want to lose my dad.I called Eloise in panic.
“Hey,how’s your dad going?” She asked with concern.
“I’ve got some good news and some bad news.” I replied.
“Oh dear!Tell the good news first.”
“My Father has woken up from his coma,but the bad news is he has woken up into an epileptic seizure.”
“Oh my God! I’m so sorry Levi.”

December 25th2004

It was a Christmas miracle. On the morning of Christmas my dad was released fully healthy. That year I got almost everything I wanted for Christmas. My father was back to full health from the hospital andEloise had canceled all her other plans to cook us a Christmas roast. I don’t think I’ll ever find a better friend than her.

August 16th 2005

Around this time work as an IT Technician was dull and boring.Although, come to think of it, it’s like that most of the time.Eloise had been away on a business trip for a few weeks, in a dream job as one of the 10 musical composers for the West Australian Symphony Orchestra.They travel around frequently which makes me miss Eloise a lot.Thankfully, she came back that afternoon andtomorrow was my birthday. Eloise is going to take me out partying. I’m not much of a partygoer but since it was my birthday, it was something special.

August 17th 2005

The club is pumping,
The DJ’s thumping.
My head is spinning round and round.
I see her,
She sees me.
But she’s with someone who’s not me.

August 18th 2005

The world’s worst case of bad breath is haunting me and my head is in more agony than anything else ever could. I get up to call Eloise to see how she is.
“Okay, how are you?” She answered.
“My head’s a bit sore and I’m really tired?” I replied groggily.
“I had a fun time with Marcus last night.”
My happiness in talking to her stopped. I felt shocked and torn.
“Hello? Hello? Levi, are you still there?” My heart felt torn apart. I couldn’t speak. I hung up the phone. I was so depressed. I felt like all the life had been sucked out of me. Up untilnow, I had thought Eloise loved me; but maybe not!

I thought you felt the same way,
But have your feelings drifted away?
My love for you is never ending,
But you’ve ended the love that you were sending.



November 7th 2005

I quit my job as an IT Technician. It was far too boring and I wanted to continue playing my music, which reminded me of the times Eloise and I had. I took a job up at a local bar ‘The Shack’. I was to perform everyThursday night to pursue my music while I wrote songs about anything that captured my inspiration. Of course, these mainly involved Eloise.

My world is so alone,
            For and every night I cannot sleep I just moan.
            My heart has broken because of you,
            Many sleepless nights from love that seemed to be true.

December 31st 2005 - January 1st 2006
           
I hadn’t talked to Eloise since that horrible morning on the phone in August. The end of the year 2005 seems to come up very suddenly. I hadn’t gone a day without thinking about Eloise. She was once my best friend and now we barely talked. I had been invited to aNew Year’s Eve party at the local Surf Club, by a mate of mine, Sean. He hated to see me so down.
“You’ll probably find a new girl tonight man, a hotter one too!”
I decided to tag along just to make him happy. It was about time to escape my misery.
The party was taking off. At least 1000 people of both sexes were there. I was on the side watching people show off their moves. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a brown haired,blue-eyed girl. My stomach churned. It was Eloise. I couldn’t help but look at her. She was looking so stunning in her blue dress. My mind was in a whirl!“Should I talk to her or shouldn’t I?”
It looked as if she was looking directly at me, then she turned her head away.

Sean noticed me staring at someone and then he realized it was Eloise.
“Hey man, forget about her. There are plenty of other hot chicks in the sea. C’mon follow me.”
Sean dragged me over to another girl.
“Bianca meet Levi; Levi meet Bianca.” Sean introduced.
“Have a good night.” Sean smiled and winked wickedly at me.

Bianca was a beautiful blonde bombshell. I can see why Sean wanted me to meet her but I still could not stop thinking about Eloise.
“So, would you like to dance?” I asked Bianca absentmindedly.
“Sure.”
“So where are you from? You don’t look Australian,” I asked looking past her at Eloise.
“I’m from the U.S.. I moved here last year to start my own hairdressing business.”
“How’s that working out for you?” I asked, still spaced out looking at Eloise.
“It’s going quite well actually. We have an average of 600 customers per fortnight which brings in a reasonable income.”
“That’s good” I said absently, as I saw Eloise staring straight at me.
“Hey, Levi!” Eloise called out and moved across the room towards me.I lost all train of thought and left Bianca feeling very alone.
“Hi, how are you?” I asked breathlessly,scratching the back of my neck.
“Good, thanks.Who’s this?” She asked in a disheartened tone.
“This is Bianca. Bianca, Eloise. Eloise,Bianca.”
“Nice to meet you,Bianca.”
“Nice to meet you too Eloise. I’m a bit thirsty does anyone else want anything?” Bianca asked awkwardly.
“I’m good thanks.” smiled Eloise
“Same,” I replied.
“Okay, I’ll be back in a minute.”

After Biancaleft, Eloise asked, “Why didn’t you return my calls?”
“I loved you Eloise,” I said with melancholy. “You broke my heart on my birthday. I thought you felt something too, but I guess I was wrong.”
“Levi. I love you too. I guess I’m too late?” She asked in a way so as her statement came out as a question.
“You love me? But what about Marcus?”
“Marcus was one of my work mates. Nothing happened that night, we only danced. It was fun dancing but nothing more.”
 “I thought you were saying you had a good night with him meaning he took you home.”
“No way, he’s not my type. He did have to give me a ride home because you left a bit early but nothing happened at all! What about you and Bianca?”
“Bianca isn’t my girlfriend; Sean introduced me to her about ten minutes ago. He was trying to help me get over you.”
“I went down to a couple of your performances at the Shack. I didn’t think you wanted to see me so I hid up the back. Were those songs all about me?”She asked with blush in her cheeks.
“Yes! What in the world would’ve made you think that? I would’ve given anything to see you! And since you’re here nowcan I have a makeup dance for not doing so on my birthday?” I asked smiling.
“I would love to dance with you!” she smiled.
“Oh sorry don’t let me interrupt you two love birds,” Bianca giggled.
“Sorry Bianca, I’m sure Sean would love someone to dance with” I replied pointing to Sean dancing by himself in a corner.
“Thanks!” she smiled

As we danced, I noticed Eloise’s smile beaming brighter than I have ever seen it before.All of a sudden, Ifelt my heart beat faster until I realized the lights had dimmed down.
“Eloise?” I asked.
“Yes?” She replied.
“What’s your New Year’sresolution going to be?”
“I haven’t really thought about it much.What about you?”
“I’m hoping my New Year’sresolution will be; to be the best husband in the whole world.”
“What are you talking about?” she stared at me with a strange look in her eyes.
“Eloise Edwards, will you marry me?”I asked as I went down on one knee.“I should have given you this ring a long time ago. I’ve carried it around with me every day since I last saw you. I didn’t want to give it away to anyone except you. You’re the only person who I want to have as my weddedwife.”

February17th 2006

Wedding bells are ringing,
The choirgirls are singing.
Roseanna walks down the aisle,
With a cheerful, gleaming smile.
Followed by Marisa,
And Tiana her twin sister.
Then down comes yours truly,
Eloise Edwards so pretty and lovely.

The day I married Eloise Edwards!A few years down the track, she is just as beautiful as she ever was. Her smile still shines as bright as it did that night. We now have twin girls, Chloe and Michelle. They arethree years old and already showing the world how they will be as cute as their mother Eloise.

No comments:

Post a Comment